Thursday, April 2, 2015

Mr. Pig Live . . . with Early Bird & Night Owl!

Hello and welcome to another exciting episode of my hit talk show, Mr. Pig LIVE! Today's guests are as different as, well, day and night. Let's give a big hoot! hoot! to . . .


EARLY BIRD & NIGHT OWL!

These two fine-feathered friends are the stars of author-illustrator Toni Yuly's fun new read-alouds that have received rave reviews. Let's meet them, shall we?

What are your full names?
Early T. Bird. (T stands for terrific)
Night H. Owl (H stands for hoot!)



What one word best describes you?
EB - energetic
NO - fearless


This is a more personal question. . . . 
Do you have a belly button?
EB - I found a button once on my way to the garden, is that what you mean?
NO - What is a belly?


Never mind then. 
What is the best thing about being you?

EB - I get to sing every morning as the sun comes up and it is a wonderful, wonderful feeling...then I sing again, a little solo, right before the sun sets... Life is good!


From EARLY BIRD. Illustration copyright 2014 by Toni Yuly.
NO - I come alive at night, and I tell you, the nighttime is the best! Everything is a little more intense...the colors and especially sounds! I just love that nighttime vibe!

From NIGHT OWL. Illustration copyright 2015 by Toni Yuly.
Thanks for staying up past your bedtime with us this morning. Now, i
f you were stranded on a desert island, what would you bring?

EB - My good friend, the Early Worm. He is a great pal and then I wouldn't be lonely.

NO - Definitely my uke. I have to have music in my life.



If you could have any superpower, what would it be?
EB - I would love to be able to sing like Aretha Franklin.
NO - I would love to be able to play the drums.



What are you reading right now?
EB - Cat Nap by Toni Yuly
NO - Owl at Home by Arnold Lobel


The Cottagers can't wait to read Cat Nap in 2016, and Owl at Home is one of my favorites! Speaking of favorites, what is your favorite word?
EB - yes!
NO - didgeridoo



What is you least favorite word?
EB - meow
NO - bedtime


From NIGHT OWL. Illustration copyright 2015 by Toni Yuly.

What is your favorite sound?
EB - The sound of my friends singing.
NO - Mommy Owl's hoot, of course.




Share one thing that most of our readers don’t know about you.

EB - I meditate every morning before the sun comes up. Did I mention that I am an early riser?

From EARLY BIRD. Illustration copyright 2014 by Toni Yuly.

NO - I can't actually turn my head all the way around.



From NIGHT OWL. Illustration copyright 2015 by Toni Yuly.

Neat! If a genie gave you one wish, what would you wish for?

EB - I would wish for everyone to celebrate each and every day by being kind and making new friends! Life is short! Sing and get going!

NO - I would wish for folks to be a little quieter during the day...some of us are trying to sleep.


If you have a pocket, what is in it right now?
EB - pepper spray for that cat, just in case
NO - my penny whistle


From EARLY BIRD. Illustration copyright 2014 by Toni Yuly.


What did you eat for breakfast this morning?


EB - strawberries
NO - I don't eat breakfast.




What was it like working with Toni Yuly?


EB - Oh we got along great. We agree on a lot of things like when to get up, so that was good. Our work schedules really clicked. I would definitely work with her again.


NO - She is a real evening wimp I can tell you that. In bed at 9pm! Who goes to bed at 9pm! And she seems to have darkness issues, I think she is a bit afraid of the dark. Well, at least we had a few good jam sessions together. She can play a mean conga drum.


Thanks, Early Bird and Night Owl! It's been a real tweet, er, I mean TREAT having you here! Please stay for lunch -- Nina from Mamabelly's Lunches with Love has prepared Early Bird and Night Owl bento lunches especially for you! 

Scroll down or click here to see today's Literary Lunch

_______________________

About Toni Yuly
Toni Yuly has been an early bird her whole life and loves to start the day in her studio listening to other early birds sing outside her window. She lives in a small house by the water in Bremerton, Washington, near Seattle where she was born.

Toni fell in love with Eastern sensibilities during a year spent in Sendai, Japan. She graduated from the University of Washington with a BFA in painting where she studied with the great American painter Jacob Lawrence. Now, after many years as a librarian in the King County Library System (she took a ferry to work!) Toni dedicates herself to designing, painting and writing full time. EARLY BIRD, published by the fantastic people at Feiwel & Friends, was her first picture book.

For more information on Toni visit her website: www.toniyuly.com and her Facebook page: www.facebook.com/toni.yuly


About Toni's books
NIGHT OWL
Feiwel & Friends, January 2015
ISBN 978-1250054579

Night Owl loves the nighttime! He can see everything, but when he doesn't see Mommy Owl, he starts to listen....

"With its question-and-response text, this is a satisfying choice for reading aloud." --Booklist

"Yuly imbues her owl baby with great character....The little creature portrayed in bold pen and ink and digital pictures will capture readers with his resiliency and calm." --School Library Journal


 
EARLY BIRD
Feiwel & Friends, January 2015
ISBN 978-1250057068


* "It’s unusual for a book this straightforward to accomplish several things, but this succeeds. Yuly offers a story that has action and tension, while at the same time—with the help of parents and teachers—extends the way kids think about words. A simple exercise would be to ask them other things Early Bird might do, thereby emphasizing verbs and prepositions. A fun way to learn." --Booklist (starred review)

"With its snappy text, vivid pictures, and lively protaganist, this title would make for a fun read-aloud during storytime."
--School Library Journal


No comments:

Post a Comment