Tuesday, May 30, 2017

The Little Crooked Bookshelf


Pete With No Pants
by Rowboat Watkins

This week's pick is from Cottager Anika Denise.  



What it's all about...
Pete is on mission to answer life's oldest question: Why do I have to wear pants? And the second oldest: Who am I? In his quest for answers, Pete considers that he might be a boulder, a squirrel, a cloud, or perhaps a giant pigeon? (All of whom flout customary pants-wearing traditions.)

Why it's on The Little Crooked Bookshelf...
Rowboat Watkins is at his quirky finest in this silly tale, which perfectly captures a little kid's penchant for nakey-ness, knock-knock jokes, and a blissful freedom from modesty — before pesky pants-wearing adults interfere.

My favorite line(s)...
Let's see...
I'm GRAY
Check.
I'm NUTS about acorns.
Check.
And I'm NOT wearing pants.
YUP!
I'm a squirrel!

My favorite illustration(s)...


Why kids will love it...
For its unabashed silliness! The naked truth? Pantlessness is just plain funny. Especially when you're three.

Why grown-ups will love it...
If you have ever chased down a toddler streaking bare-bummed through the backyard while you are entertaining guests, or trying to get him or her to bed, or on a video conference call with your boss in Indonesia, you will appreciate this book. And even if you haven't, Watkins' adorable illustrations and hilarious banter will charm the pants off ya'.

No comments:

Post a Comment