Wednesday, March 25, 2015

Mr. Pig Visits. . . Jennifer Sattler

Well, hello and happy Spring! I know it doesn't quite feel like Spring yet here in Saratoga Springs, NY. It's still a wee bit chilly, but the residents here have assured me, Spring is on its way.

And really, in any kind of weather, this town is just cute as a button!

Not only that, it's the home and workplace of JENNIFER SATTLER, author and illustrator of the Chick 'n' Pug and Pig Kahuna series, and Sylvie. I'm so excited to meet her!

I've brought along a few books to be signed, see?
-

Ah, here we are!

<<Knock, knock>>

Shhh, we don't want to startle her, looks like she's hard at work.


Gah! Mr. Pig, you startled me! Who knew pigs could be so stealthy?

Very sorry, I have been told I am light on my hooves.

No worries, I was just taking a break. Come in, I'll show you around.

That would be lovely!

I have a bunch of mobiles in my studio. I love looking up and seeing them hover over me.


How pretty! And hmm… those are some very small shoes; you must have very small feet.

Ha! No, these are my daughter Mayzie's shoes from first grade. She's almost 16 and she can't fool me... I remember her wearing these like it was yesterday.


They grow up fast, don't they? I mean, I don't have any piglets of my own, but from what I've seen, they grow like weeds -- especially when you feed them.

True. Over here is one of my shelves with my "stuff." 


Oooo, what lovely Pigs! And I believe I recognize that flamingo in the back.

Yes. Here's some more "stuff." My daughter Lili made the lacrosse clock. The little surfboard was something I did to promote Pig Kahuna. I painted Fergus and Dink on them. When I went on tour they were given to favorite booksellers.


Can you spare one for a favorite Pig?

I think that can be arranged. 

Aha, and I see you have some studio company of the furry kind, too.

See, I'm not crazy! I'm not talking to myself all day, silly, I'm talking to these guys!



Yes! And it was a pleasure talking to you, Jen! Thanks for the tour!

Anytime, Mr. Pig!

After receiving an MFA in painting, Jennifer won a National Endowment for The Arts Grant in 1996. She spent six years as a painting and drawing professor until she just couldn’t hide the fact that she was a complete goofball.
-
Jennifer Sattler is the author and illustrator of, Chick ‘n’ Pug, Chick ‘n’ Pug Meet the Dude, Pig Kahuna, Pig Kahuna Pirates, Uh-Oh, Dodo! A Chick ‘n’ Pug Christmas, the upcoming Pig Kahuna Who’s that Pig? and Sylvie, which won the Mockingbird Award and the Georgia Children’s Book Award. She lives in Upstate, NY with her husband, Paul, an incredible painter, their two above average children and their handsome mutt, Henry.

To learn more about Jennifer's books, visit her website.



Coming Soon! 

Pig Kahuna, Who's That PIG?
by Jennifer Sattler
Bloomsbury USA Childrens
Pub date: May 15, 2015
ISBN: 9781619637436

It's just a regular old day at the beach for Fergus and his brother, Dink.
Then they see something off in the distance . . .
Wait . . . it's not a something. It's a someone!
She's bold.
She's interesting!
She's fun!
But does this Pig Kahuna duo have room for a third?
This newest entry in the kid-friendly series featuring Fergus and Dink captures the unique challenges and excitement of making friends, reminding readers that the best approach is always to be yourself.

★“Pirate-loving listeners will be particularly pleased. . . . A fresh and clever take on a perennially popular theme.” –  Kirkus Reviews, starred review, on Pig Kahuna Pirates,
★“Together words and pictures create an utterly engaging picture-book experience-eye-catching, thought-provoking and just plain fun.” –  Kirkus Reviews, starred review, on Pig Kahuna,
“You almost hear the seashore when you read the book: Now that's a summer read.” –  Time Out New York Kids on Pig Kahuna.


2 comments:

  1. I love your books! Thanks for sharing a peek at your studio and your cool Quentin Blake poster!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aha, you have sharp eyes, Joanne! Thanks for reading and commenting!

      Delete