Monday, March 31, 2014

Mr. Pig Live. . . with Extraordinary Warren!


Welcome back to another edition of the most talked about talk show in the Enchanted Woods…

MR. PIG LIVE!

Today’s guest is simply. . . extraordinary! Please put your hands (or wings) together for WARREN, a very talented young chicken and the star of Sarah Dillard’s new book Extraordinary Warren: A Super Chicken.

What is your full name?  
Warren. I know. It is so ordinary.

Hmph! Try being named "Mr. Pig." Anyway, what three words best describe you, Warren?
Hmmm...Extraordinary, for one. Special? Definitely. Supreme? Oh... Probably not.

What's the best thing about being you? 
Someday I really am going to be something great. Just wait!

What's the worst thing about being you? 
I am pretty much the only one who realizes that someday I am going to be something great. No one understands me. Everyone is always laughing at me. But just wait, I'll show them!

If you were stranded on a desert island, what would you bring? 
I would bring  some chicken feed. It may be dull, but at least it is reliable. Oh, and of course I would bring my best friend, Egg.

From EXTRAORDINARY WARREN. Illustration copyright 2014 by Sarah Dillard.

Would you rather be able to fly or be invisible?
I am really working hard on my flying, but let me tell you, it is not as easy as it looks. 

Do you identify more with Goldilocks or the three bears?
To be honest, I'm really not a fan of porridge, so I have a hard time identifying with any of them.  

What is your favorite word?
My favorite word is destiny. I believe I have one. I'm just not quite sure what it is yet.

What is you least favorite word? 
My least favorite word used to be ordinary, but then I found out there are worse things to be.

What is your special talent? 
I'm extraordinary. Isn't that enough?

It certainly is. If you could dine with three characters from other books, who would they be? 
Charlie Brown, because I know how he feels, Bob, from Tracey Campbell Pearson's book Bob, because he is a pretty creative rooster and I would like to be like him when I grow up, and that goose in Mo Willem's book That is Not a Good Idea! because I think I could learn something from her.

Do you have any siblings?
I live with a bunch of other chicks. We are probably related.

What is your most embarrassing moment? 
Flying lessons.  I just can't seem to get the hang of it.  

Do you have a pet peeve? 
Rats. They might act like they are your friend, but they never ever mean it.

From EXTRAORDINARY WARREN. Illustration copyright 2014 by Sarah Dillard.
What are you reading right now?
Being and Nothingness by Jean Paul Sartre.

What was it like working with Sarah Dillard?  
It was okay working with Sarah, but I have some questions about that dinner she had last night.

Ahem, well, that's all the time we have for today. Thanks, Warren! Please stick around after we introduce Sarah... because Nina from Lunches with Love has made an EXTRAORDINARY lunch in you honor! (We promise...no dull chicken feed.) Scroll down to check it out!

Sarah Dillard grew up in a small town in Massachusetts. She studied art and English at Wheaton College, and illustration at the Rhode Island School of Design. She lives on a mountain in Vermont with her husband and dog, both of whom inspire many of her characters, and ensure that she goes for a walk everyday. 

You can visit Sarah online at sarahdillard.com




Extraordinary Warren: A Super Chicken
by Sarah Dillard
S&S/Aladdin, $12.99 (64p) ISBN 978-1-4424-5340-1

"Dillard (Perfectly Arugula) has a solid grasp of the possibilities of sequential art, drawing panels that break up physical processes like learning to fly (where Warren runs into some trouble) and following Warren as he trudges over a hill, ruminating about his failure to warn the flock. Warren’s sidekick, an egg who eventually hatches, is the story’s sweetest surprise: “Is this farm the whole world or is there more?” the chick asks. “Did you know that I’d be so yellow and fuzzy?” A good-humored story that nicely blends picture book, chapter book, and graphic novel elements."--Publishers Weekly

Sneak Peek! 
Extraordinary Warren Saves The Day
by Sarah Dillard
Forthcoming from S&S/Aladdin 
(October 14, 2014)
ISBN-13: 978-1481403528

Warren, the bespectacled hero of Extraordinary Warren, is delighted to have a sidekick and feathered friend in the newly hatched Egg. But Egg is rather exasperating. New to the world, he asks so many questions and has so much to learn. Early one morning Egg takes off on his own and crosses the road, where he winds up getting lost in a field of corn. Warren is so busy imagining his flight to the moon that he doesn’t even know Egg is missing! But when Warren finally realizes Egg has flown the coop, nothing stops him from locating his best buddy—not even that hungry rat, Millard.

No comments:

Post a Comment